Label Inspection Solutions For Bottling Lines
Monday, March 8th, 2021
Appearance matters, especially when it is your products at the point of sale. It translates into desirable, premium-quality products that deliver high-value consumer perception, revenues and profitability. Well-presented, correctly labelled bottles spells attention to detail by the manufacturer and signifies quality for the consumer, helping promote sales and repeat business.
FILTEC’s INTELLECT Vision Solutions inspect label attributes for both glue-on and shrink sleeve labels. In addition, these solutions can detect container underfill, closure and ACL sorting. Further complementary products include date code inspection and color closure detection. Vision Glue-On Label Inspection Solutions provide the following benefits:
- Reduced waste.
- Prevents poor quality labelled products being shipped.
- Tracks each container for potential quality defects.
- Provides a safe readable description for the product and its contents.
- Fast inspection rates allow line speeds to be run at their maximum rates.
- Delivers high-quality product appearance right to the point of sale.
- Provides greater value-add productivity.
FILTEC’s INTELLECT Glue-On and Shrink Sleeve Label Solutions ensures that only well-presented, correctly labelled bottles are shipped.
VISION GLUE-ON LABEL SOLUTIONS
The Vision Glue-On Label Solution is an automated machine vision system for glass bottle lines operating up to 1,000 bottles per minute (BPM). The inspection is performed at the discharge of the labeller. The system inspects every bottle to prevent incorrectly labelled bottles from being shipped to the consumer. It combines sophisticated optical and sensing technology with state-of-the-art electronics housed in a stainless-steel environmental enclosure.
The Vision Glue-On Label solution inspects paper, plastic and ceramic labels that cover the neck and body areas of each bottle following the labeller. Accurate registration alignment of both the neck and body labels is ensured using INTELLECT’s unique technologies that embodies vertical print referencing. In total, up to twenty individual inspections are performed on each bottle to ensure that only defect-free labelled bottles are produced and shipped to the consumer.
INTELLECT Vision Glue-On Label Inspection Includes:
- Body label presence
- Neck label presence
- Back label presence.
- Body label skew.
- Upside down body label.
- Upside down neck label.
- Body label vertical position.
- Neck label vertical position.
- Reversed body label.
- Reversed neck label.
- Neck-body label alignment.
- Neck label overlap.
- Body label underfold.
- Body label overfold.
- Front-back label alignment.
- Multiple body labels.
- Torn body label.
- Neck code detection.
- Bar code presence.
- Bar code verification.
The solution can be configured for a variety of glass bottle types and operates across all of INTELLECT’s complementary applications and modules, including date code inspection and color closure detection.
VISION SHRINK SLEEVE LABEL SOLUTIONS
The Vision Shrink Sleeve Solution is an automated machine vision system for bottling lines running up to 1,000 bottles per minute (BPM). Like the Vision Glue-On Label Solution, the system inspects every bottle to prevent incorrectly labelled bottles from being shipped to the consumer. It combines sophisticated optical and sensing technology with state-of-the-art electronics housed in a stainless-steel environmental enclosure.
FILTEC’s INTELLECT Vision Shrink Sleeve Label Solution helps maximize:
- Quality and brand protection with continuous label inspection.
- Increased value-add production through process visibility, information archiving and analysis tools.
- Label rejects and scrapped production.
- Substandard containers of poor appearance.
INTELLECT Vision Shrink Sleeve Inspection Includes:
- Sleeve label presence.
- Sleeve label vertical position.
- Sleeve label skew.
- Smile or frown-shape sleeve label.
- Upside down label.
- Sleeve label hole or tear.
- Bar code presence.
- Sleeve label underfold or overfold.
- Verifies that the bar code matches the SKU in production.
This configurable inspection module supports ACL sorting, underfill detection, closure inspection, plus complementary products that include date code inspection and color closure detection like the Vision Glue-On label inspection.
OPEN SYSTEMS COMMUNICATIONS
Keeping track of production is a key part of efficient manufacturing practice. An important aspect of the INTELLECT solutions are their “open” platforms that enable the user to easily extract the information needed to optimise the process, improve quality and evaluate customer complaints.
All INTELLECT Solutions offer open, flexible integration tools that provide data connectivity between compliant devices from the plant floor for real-time information exchange with Manufacturing Execution Systems (MES) and Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC). These communications solutions include:
- Modbus is a data communications protocol that connects PLCs and other industrial electronic devices.
- OPC UA is widely recognized as the key communication and data modelling technology.
- OMAC, Weihenstephan is a popular communications protocol in the food production and packaging industries.
INTELLECT: DELIVERING SUPERIOR INSPECTION SOLUTIONS
The INTELLECT Container Inspection Platform provides solutions throughout the entire container production line to help increase efficiency and achieve a fast Return on Investment. These reliable inspection, measurement and control technologies examine each container with speed and precision, helping elevate product quality and throughput while building customer loyalty.
Article by Raymond P. Shead. Product Marketing Manager. FILTEC, Torrance California, USA
SHARE WITH FRIENDS: